There are fishing rules on the Afon Dwyfor which we adhere to as part of Dwyfor Angling Association.
1. The minimum size of fish allowed to be killed, measured from SNOUT to CLEFT OR FORK OF TAIL will be as follows;
a) Brown Trout – 8.5 inches or 21cm
b) Sea Trout – 11 inches or 27.85cm
c) Salmon – 12 inches or 30.48cm
2. No member shall kill more than THREE FISH from ONE STAND during a period of 24hrs, and the BAG LIMIT for the same period shall be FOUR FISH.
3. The minimum distance between members fishing shall be FIVE METERS.
4. Whilst bait fishing DURING THE DAY, the rod must be placed on a rod rest or similar implement. This rule is waived when the river is in spate.
5. LOW WATER FISHING – SPINNING SHALL NOT BE ALLOWED WHEN THE RIVER LEVEL IS BELOW THE RED LINE ON THE MARKER POST SITUATED IN THE BRIDGE POOL, LLANYSTUMDWY.
6. Members are requested to respect the rights of Landowners and Tenants by; Keeping to recognised paths, along and to the river banks; closing and securing all gates with great care, avoiding damage to crops, stiles and fencing, not parking at the points of access to fields etc. and always obtaining prior permission to park. (AT TYDDYN CETHIN PARKING WILL BE BY THE BARN ONLY). Keeping the river banks free from litter such as nylon, cans and plastic bags etc.
7. Members must carry their Permit whilst fishing Association waters.
8. The Association cannot be held responsible for any accident or injury sustained by a member whilst fishing or using paths or stiles near the river.
9. NO FORM OF GROUND BAITING SHALL BE ALLOWED.
10. Complaints and reports of misconduct will be disregarded UNLESS submitted in writing.
11. MEMBERS WHO ARE FISHING MUST NOT BE ACCOMPANIED BY A DOG.
12. THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE WILL DEAL SEVERELY WITH RULE BREAKERS.
IMPORTANT: CATCH RETURNS SHOULD BE RETURNED TO THE SECRETARY AT THE END OF THE SEASON.
METHODS: Worms, Flies, Spinners and Shrimps and Maggots (ONLY TO BE USED AFTER DARK WITH A FLY) are allowed to be used on the river; however Prawns are BANNED.
IMPORTANT NOTE – PLEASE REMEMBER THAT TO BUY A PERMIT, YOU SHOULD ALSO OWN A ROD LICENCE WHICH CAN BE PURCHASED AT THE POST OFFICE ONLINE OR IN A STORE
FISH RUNS: Brown trout season starts on the 20th March and runs through to the 17th October, Sea trout runs usually start in June and Salmon usually start entering the system by late August with the grilse coming a bit later.